Vision loss doesn’t mean giving up on your dreams
”If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones,
then you never will change the outcome.” — Michael Jordan
Take back your life with support and skills
Dept. of Services for the Blind
This innovative Washington State agency helps you keep your job or get your career back on track. Their vocational rehab counselors understand the issues confronting you and help you develop a plan and resources. Make people see you for your abilities, not your disability.
- What to tell your employer when you are losing your sight
- Veterans Administration Blind Rehab Centers Are you a veteran? Great training, support, and technology at American Lake.
- Washington Talking Book and Braille Library Sign up with the best audio book library in the U.S. for books and current magazines.
- SightConnection Looking for a store with adpative software, magnifiers, kitchen aides, canes, watches, sunglasses? Look no farther than Northgate, Washington or go online.
Tips to share
- How to guide a person with vision impairment
- How you can help your family adjust
- How to interact with a guide dog team
- How to develop a disaster plan
People who are blind are breaking down barriers
- In 1997, Sabriye Tenberken traveled alone to Tibet and established a school for the blind.
- In 2001, Erik Weihenmayer summited Mount Everest and next year will climb the face of Eiger in Switzerland.
- Forty sightless runners competed in the 2013 Boston Marathon.
- Christine Ha, MasterChef winner in 2012, co-hosts a cooking show in Canada called "Four Senses" aimed at people with visual impairment. The series began in 2014 on FoodTV. We hope the U.S. will pick it up.
Blind surfer gets sponsors and a movie: Beyond Sight
Follow Team USA at the Paralympics
Love soccer? Well, soccer has been modified so blind athletes can compete. Follow the Paralympics on NBC.